Taking medicines abroad

You can normally take all prescription and self-administered medicines with you when you travel. Before your trip, you should determine any restrictions as there is variation between countries in terms of the quantities and types of medication you may bring with you. In addition to this, it is a good idea to find out about any rules and restrictions in any possible countries of transit.

When you travel abroad, take your prescriptions with you. If needed, you can use them at customs to prove that you have the right to take your personal medication with you. If your prescriptions are in electronic format, bring a patient guide printed out by your doctor or a summary sheet that you can print out yourself from the My Kanta service.  If necessary, you can also obtain one at a pharmacy or health care unit.

When travelling, keep your medicines in their original packages and pack them in your hand luggage. Consider whether or not you will need to bring information on your diagnosis or a copy of your medical history translated into English or the language of the country of destination.

In some cases, an import license or certificate from an authority may be required, for example. Information on restrictions concerning the import of medicines can be obtained from the customs officials of the target country and Contact points in EU and EEA countries.

Exporting narcotics and medication that effect the central nervous system

When travelling in the Schengen Area, you must have a Schengen certificate if you are carrying medicines that are classified as narcotics – primarily drugs that affect the central nervous system (PKV drugs) or psychotropic medicines. The certificate is to demonstrate the necessity of the medication.

The Schengen Area includes Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Germany, Belgium, France, Netherlands, Austria, Luxemburg, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Malta and Switzerland.

In Finland, a Schengen certificate can be obtained at a pharmacy. To obtain the certificate you must present the medicine package, the prescription for the medicine and a travel document (passport or ID card)

If you are unsure as to whether or not you require a Schengen certificate for your medicine, you can check the matter with a pharmacy or the Finnish Medicines Agency (Fimea).