A pharmacy operating in Finland can sell medicines online if it has notified the Finnish Medicines Agency (Fimea) of the shop.
Fimea maintains a list (in Finnish) of legitimate online pharmacies in Finland.
Buying medicines from the online shop of a foreign pharmacy
If you order medication from another EU country, make sure that you place your order with a legal pharmacy or another legal distributor of medication. Legal online pharmacies operating in the European Union can be identified by their shared logo. The European Medicines Agency also collects country-specific information on legal EU pharmacies that sell medicine online.
You may only order medicines from another EU or EEC country in a quantity equivalent to a maximum of three months’ supply.
In addition to prescription medication, you can order self-administered and herbal medicinal products as well as registered and unregistered homeopathic or anthroposophic products (resembling homeopathic medicines).
When purchasing medicine from an online pharmacy, please note the following:
- For prescription medication, you must have a valid prescription in the same way as when purchasing medicines at a Finnish pharmacy.
- Purchasing or receiving narcotic substances by post from outside Finland is prohibited.
- Medicines purchased online or by post will not be reimbursed through health insurance.
- The classification of medicines can differ between countries. For example, a natural product or other item, such as a nutritional supplement, may be classified as a medicine in Finland. In this case, the same regulations apply as in importing medicines.
- In Finland, large package sizes are normally reserved for prescription medicines, which means that a valid prescription is required for ordering them. This also applies to self-administered medication, including conventional painkillers.
- Counterfeit and expired medication is also sold online and the authenticity of a product is difficult to discern.
- Medicines are not always compatible and may have harmful combined effects.
- You purchase medicine online at your own risk. It is your responsibility to ascertain the medicine’s authenticity and legality.
- All medicines purchased online must also be legal in the country from which they are ordered.