Moving abroad for study or research

Living abroad due to studies is usually regarded as temporary residence. In general, you remain covered by Finnish health insurance for the duration of your studies.

If you move from Finland to study, for unremunerated training, research or post-graduate studies abroad, you are covered by Finnish health insurance for the duration of your studies. If you move abroad to do paid training relating to your studies, this may affect your health insurance coverage in Finland.

  • Notify Kela of residence abroad longer than three months and of a permanent move abroad.
  • Always Notify Kela if you work abroad.
  • Submit a notification of move to the Local Register Office too.

Treatment an EU or EEA country or in Switzerland with the European Health Insurance Card

You will receive medically necessary treatment during a stay of less than six months in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland if Finland is responsible for the costs of your medical care. Prove your entitlement to treatment by presenting the European Health Insurance Card.

If you live in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland for more than six months to study, you should receive care with your European Health Insurance Card.

If you are permanently resident in another EU or EEA country or Switzerland during your studies and Finland covers your medical care costs, you can obtain treatment for the same client fee as local residents also within the Finnish public healthcare system. If your municipality of residence is no longer in Finland, you need a certificate of entitlement to medical care in Finland, which is awarded by Kela. With the certificate you can prove your entitlement to treatment in the public healthcare system. You can apply for a certificate from Kela on form SV 141e.

Student or researcher in the Province of Quebec

The social security arrangement between Finland and the Province of Quebec covers medical and hospital treatment and, in part, dental care provided. Under the agreement, treatment can be obtained by the following categories of people moving to Quebec on a temporary basis:

  • Exchange students
  • Researchers
  • Students participating in training relating to upper secondary education or to university studies
  • Family member moving with one of the above.

In order to receive treatment, you must first register with Health insurance board of Quebec. Kela issues students, researchers and their family members a form SF/Q4 for the purpose of registration. Workers posted from Finland to Quebec register using form FI/Q1 issued by the Finnish Centre for Pensions.

You can make a free-form application to obtain a registration form from Kela via e-Services, by telephone or at the office.

When the health insurance board Quebec registers a form SF/Q, it requires employees coming to work in the country on temporary basis, students and researchers to also present a valid document with which they entered the territory. Students and researchers are also required to provided an attestation of full-time enrolment as a student, for example, a certificate of enrolment, or acceptance as a researcher or as a trainee.

Private health insurance usually necessary in other countries

When you study or pursue research in an country other than an EU or EEA country, or Switzerland, you will receive treatment in the country where you are staying. In countries other than an EU or EEA country, or Switzerland, you are generally responsible for the costs arising from your treatment yourself. Find out it advance whether you will need private insurance in order to access healthcare services.