Chronic diseases

By presenting a European Health Insurance Card you can obtain medically necessary treatment for a chronic disorder when staying in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland.

A doctor or other healthcare professional in the place of treatment will determine what kind of care or clinical examinations will be required to treat your chronic condition.

The kind of treatment you will receive is always determined in accordance with the legislation of the country in which you are staying. Treatment and related examinations are not necessarily the same as they would be in Finland.

You are free to seek treatment abroad for a chronic disorder. Your entitlement to treatment outside Europe is determined on the basis of the legislation of the country of destination. In countries other than an EU or EEA country or Switzerland, you are generally responsible for the costs incurred from treatment and examinations yourself.

If you have paid all the expenses for necessary treatment and examinations relating to a chronic disorder, apply to Kela for reimbursement using form SV 128 within six months of paying the costs.

Agree on treatment beforehand if advance arrangements are required

If your illness requires regular treatment while you are temporarily staying in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland, agree with the treatment provider beforehand on the arrangement of treatment. Treatments that need to be arranged in advance include, for example, dialysis, oxygen therapy, specialised care of asthma and chemotherapy as well as echocardiography in chronic autoimmune diseases.