If you fall ill outside Europe

Your entitlement to treatment in a country other than an EU or EEA country, Switzerland or Australia is based on the legislation of the destination country, and you will usually have to pay for the costs arising from your treatment yourself.

You are not automatically entitled to medical care in these countries. You are usually also responsible for all costs incurred from treatment, therefore it is recommended that you take out private health insurance. You can only obtain treatment or prove your entitlement to treatment by presenting a European Health Insurance Card in an EU or EEA country or in Switzerland.

Treatment is always given in accordance with the legislation and healthcare system of the country providing the treatment. A doctor or other healthcare professional will determine the treatment, procedures and the extent of care to be given.

If you have received treatment in a country other an EU or EEA country or in Switzerland on account of a sudden illness, worsening of a chronic condition, pregnancy or childbirth, you can apply for reimbursement from Kela retrospectively on form SV 128.


According to the bilateral agreement between Finland and Australia you can receive immediate treatment in the country´s public healthcare system during a temporary stay in Australia. You can obtain treatment for any illness, which requires immediate medical care.

Treatment is provided either free of charge or at the same price as the local residents when you show your Kela card and passport.