In emergencies call 112 or 999 to obtain help.

Sudden illness

In Poland, the National Health Fund, Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia, NFZ, is responsible for reimbursing the costs of medical care. You can ask its regional offices to provide you with the contact information of places of treatment that have an agreement with NFZ. These can be identified by the logo NFZ.

Doctor and medical care

See a general practitioner who has an agreement with NFZ. If you need a specialist, you can consult one if you have a general practitioner´s referral. Exceptions are gynaecologist, obstetricians, dentists, specialists in sexually transmitted diseases (venerologist), oncologists and psychiatrists, who you can consult without a referral from a general practitioner.

When you show your European Health Insurance Card or a certificate to temporarily replacing it, and an ID at the appointment is treatment free of charge. General practitioner’s surgeries are generally open from Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm. Outside office hours, weekends and on holidays, 24-hour medical treatment is provided by healthcare providers contracted to the NFZ whose contact information  is available from NFZ´s regional offices.

In order to obtain hospital treatment, you generally need a doctor´s referral. In emergencies, you can go directly to a hospital´s emergency room (SOR). You will receive treatment free of charge at NFZ´s hospitals when you present your European Health Insurance Card and ID.

You will also receive ambulance transport free of charge with a valid European Health Insurance Card in case of an emergency.


Dentists provide only certain procedures and materials free of charge. A list of free services is available at the surgery.  Most dental care in Poland is not covered by the reimbursement system, i.e. you must pay the costs in full yourself. Dentists often provide both NFZ-contracted and private treatment. Services covered by NFZ are not necessarily available every day. You should check with the doctor in advance.


A prescription can be issued by a doctor or other healthcare professional who has a contract with the Polish National Health Fund (NFZ).

For most basic medication you will pay a lump sum while other medications are reimbursed in different rates. Some medications are not reimbursed at all.

If you have to pay all costs yourself

If you have to pay the full price for treatment at a local public healthcare unit for which you would have been entitled to reimbursement with a European Health Insurance Card, you can apply for reimbursement retrospectively. You can apply for from Kela on form SV 128.

Seeking treatment

Information about health care services in Poland can be found on the following web pages (in polish):

Also the National Contact Point of Poland can assist in searching for a healthcare provider; additional information is available on the website of National Contact Point in Poland, treatment in Poland under the cross-boarder directive.

Treatment-related practices and costs

You usually require a general practitioner´s referral to see a specialist and access hospital treatment. Check in advance whether the place of treatment accepts a referral written by a Finnish doctor.

Information about prices of treatment can be found on the healthcare providers’ websites. You can also ask the price of the treatment directly from he service provider.

Quality and safety of treatment

In Poland, the standards for the quality and safety of healthcare and the ethical principles of the provision of treatment are established by law.

Healthcare is supervised by the

In addition, the Polish National Health Fund ensures that healthcare service providers in the public system comply with agreements. Comprehensive information about the quality and supervision of healthcare has been compiled on the website of the National Contact Point of Poland.