In emergencies call 112 or 144 to obtain help.

Sudden illness


Consult a general practitioner who has a contract with the health insurance funds. Show your European Health Insurance Card and ID or passport at the appointment. A fixed basic fee is charged for treatment, which the Office of Health invoices retrospectively. In 2014, the basic fee was CHF 67. The standard fee covers your treatment and doctors´ visits for one month. Treatment is free for persons under the age of 20, and pensioners pay half the fee. You can choose your general practitioner freely. You can consult a specialist if you have a general practitioner´s referral.

If you consult a non-contracted doctor, you will have to pay the full cost and will be only be reimbursed at 50 per cent.


There are no state-provided dental care services in Liechtenstein. Treatment provided by private dentists is not reimbursed, therefore you must pay the full costs at the appointment yourself.


Medicines are reimbursed in full if they are included on the list of reimbursable medicinal products. This applies to interchangeable medicines too. In any other case, you must your medicine costs yourself. Present your European Health Insurance Card and ID at the pharmacy.

Hospital care

There is only one hospital in Liechtenstein, in Vaduz. In general, you can receive hospital treatment if you have a doctor´s referral. Amt für Gesundheit must give approval for treatment. In addition to any referral you may have, present your European Health Insurance Card and ID at the hospital. You will then be charged a fee of CHF 67. The fee for pensioners is CHF 33.50.

In urgent cases, you can go directly to the hospital. Present your European Health Insurance Card and ID as soon as possible at the hospital and ask them to contact Amt für Gesundheit.

Costs of transportation by ambulance and medical helicopter are reimbursed up to a certain amount. Any costs above this you must pay yourself.

If you have to pay all costs yourself

If you have to pay the full price for treatment at a local public healthcare unit for which you would have been entitled to reimbursement with a European Health Insurance Card, you can apply for reimbursement retrospectively. You can apply for reimbursement either from the health insurance institution of the destination country or from Kela on form SV 128.