If necessary, Kela’s Centre for International Affairs can help clarify the matter.

  1. Determine whether the patient in question has a municipality of residence in Finland.

If so, the patient will receive all public health care services for the municipal resident’s client fee. The patient’s nationality, reason or residing in Finland or country of origin is of no consequence.

  1. If the patient does not have a municipality of residence in Finland, find out if EU legislation (persons coming from EU and EEC countries or Switzerland) or international convention on social security (certain groups of people coming from Australia and Quebec) is applicable to the case, or if the patient is entitled to access public health care services in Finland based on other legislation.

If not, see item 3 below.

If yes, observe the following principles:

  • A health care professional estimates the patient’s need for care, at which point the patient’s right to treatment is taken into account. The right to treatment is either extensive (all public health care services) or restricted (medically necessary treatment). The extent of the right to treatment is specified in the patient’s certificate of right to treatment.
  • The patient pays the same client fee for the treatment as a municipal resident would in the same situation.
  • Make a copy of the patient’s certificate of right to treatment, which must be valid at the time of providing the treatment
    • European Health Insurance Card or substituting certificate
    • European Health Insurance Card for pensioners granted by Kela
    • certificate of entitlement to medical care in Finland
    • passport of the country of residence (persons coming from a Nordic country, Australia and United Kingdom)
    • official personal identification (persons coming from a Nordic country)
  • The state compensates public health care providers for costs arising from producing the services if the appropriate requirements are met. State compensation is applied for from Kela on form Y 31.
  • If the patient does not have a certificate of right to treatment, ask him/her to obtain one.
  • if the patient cannot obtain a certificate of right to treatment, contact Kela’s Centre for International Affairs.
    1. If a patient from another EU country has come to Finland to seek treatment in public health care, he/she must be treated in the same way as municipal residents.

Patients without prior authorisation (form S2) must pay all costs of treatment themselves. Patients with prior authorisation must only pay the municipal residents’ client fee and the treatment provider can apply for state compensation for the actual costs of treatment.

  1. If the patient does not have a municipality of residence in Finland and an appropriate certificate of right to treatment cannot be obtained (see item 2), the patient is entitled to emergency care under Section 50 of the Health Care Act.
  • The patient must pay no more than the costs of providing the service.
  • A private insurance policy can also cover the costs if the patient has travel insurance, for example. The treatment provider can agree with the insurance company on charging the costs directly to the company.