Sudden illness abroad

You will receive medically necessary treatment in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland if you fall ill suddenly or require treatment for a worsening chronic condition, or on account of pregnancy or childbirth. You will receive treatment at the same price and on the same terms as local residents when you present a […]

Costs of medically necessary treatment

If you are residing in another Nordic country, you can present an identity card instead. If you are residing in Great Britain or Northern Ireland, you can present your passport instead. If you are residing in Australia, you will receive medically necessary treatment by presenting your passport. If you are residing in Quebec, Canada and […]

Reimbursement of travel costs if you suddenly become ill abroad

If you have become ill or have required treatment on account of pregnancy or childbirth in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland, your costs of travel will be reimbursed to the nearest place of treatment within the country in question. In addition to Kela, the country where you are staying may also reimburse […]

How to prove your right to treatment in Finland

There are several different certificates and their purposes vary. Present your certificate of entitlement to the care provider when you arrive for treatment. The certificate must be valid at the time when the treatment is given. Sudden illness If you become suddenly ill during a temporary stay in Finland (on holiday, for example) or you […]

If you fall ill outside Europe

You are not automatically entitled to medical care in these countries. You are usually also responsible for all costs incurred from treatment, therefore it is recommended that you take out private health insurance. You can only obtain treatment or prove your entitlement to treatment by presenting a European Health Insurance Card in an EU or […]

If you fall ill in Europe

Medically necessary medical care usually refers to treatment that cannot wait for your return home. Temporary residence usually refers to a stay of less than six months in the destination country for the purpose of, for example, a holiday or exchange studies. The need for treatment must emerge during the course of your stay. Treatment […]