Moving to an EU or EEA country or to Switzerland

Your right to receive treatment in EU and EEA countries, and in Switzerland after moving are affected by the following factors: Whether you are covered under health insurance in Finland after your move Whether your move is temporary or permanent Reason for your move. Under EU legislation, only one country at a time is responsible […]

Your right to treatment when moving abroad

Kela ascertains your right to treatment when . The Local Register Office also registers whether you retain your municipality of residence in Finland. When you move permanently abroad, your coverage under Finnish social security and your right as the resident of a municipality to use public healthcare services usually ends on the date of your […]

Patient’s rights to treatment

Everyone is entitled to emergency treatment Everyone is entitled to receive emergency treatment in Finland, regardless of their citizenship, country of origin or basis of their residence in Finland. Emergency treatment refers to treatment provided due to a sudden illness or accident. A person arriving from abroad is usually responsible for the costs of emergency […]

Undocumented persons

In general, undocumented persons are responsible for the medical care costs that they incur in Finland. If the costs of medical care cannot be collected from them, Kela will reimburse the public healthcare provider for the costs. Undocumented persons refer to several different groups of people and the terminology is not standardised. Generally speaking, undocumented […]

Refugees and asylum-seekers

Refugees’ right to healthcare services Authorities will indicate a place of residence for persons with a refugee status. Once a place of residence has been granted, the refugee has the right to use all public healthcare services in the same manner as other Finnish residents and for the same customer fee as local residents. A […]

Moving Finland for study or research

Student health care School and student health care includes: Health inspections Health care services Medical care within basic health care. Studying at a comprehensive school, upper secondary school, vocational school or university of applied sciences The municipality in which the educational institute is located organises the school and student health care services. School and student […]

Pensioner living abroad

In Finland, all persons requiring emergency treatment are treated within public healthcare. You will be responsible for the costs of emergency treatment if you do not have a place of domicile in Finland you are not living in an EU or EEA country or in Switzerland Finnish social security usually ends when you  as a […]

Working abroad and living in Finland

Working in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland If you are living in Finland and working in another EU or EEA country or in Switzerland, your country of employment is responsible for your healthcare costs and you can use all public healthcare services in Finland at the same price as the residents of […]

Your right to treatment in Finland

Your right to use public healthcare services is usually based on whether you have a place of domicile in Finland. The Register Office will record the place of domicile in the population register system. If you have a place of domicile in Finland, you can use all public healthcare services and you will only be […]

How to prove your right to treatment abroad

Certificates of entitlement to treatment consist of the following: European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) Certificate temporarily replacing a European Health Insurance Card Passport Official ID Prior authorisation to seek treatment (form S2) Present your European Health Insurance Card or a certificate temporarily replacing it, your passport or ID, prior authorisation to seek treatment or financial […]