Moving outside the EU

The national legislation of the destination country determines the type of healthcare services that you can access. The healthcare systems of countries differ considerably from each other and the requirements for access to services vary greatly. It is recommended that you ascertain your right to receive healthcare services in the destination country, and the payments […]

Moving to an EU or EEA country or to Switzerland

Your right to receive treatment in EU and EEA countries, and in Switzerland after moving are affected by the following factors: Whether you are covered under health insurance in Finland after your move Whether your move is temporary or permanent Reason for your move. Under EU legislation, only one country at a time is responsible […]

Your right to treatment when moving abroad

Kela ascertains your right to treatment when . The Local Register Office also registers whether you retain your municipality of residence in Finland. When you move permanently abroad, your coverage under Finnish social security and your right as the resident of a municipality to use public healthcare services usually ends on the date of your […]

Moving abroad for study or research

If you move from Finland to study, for unremunerated training, research or post-graduate studies abroad, you are covered by Finnish health insurance for the duration of your studies. If you move abroad to do paid training relating to your studies, this may affect your health insurance coverage in Finland. Notify Kela of residence abroad longer […]

Moving abroad in retirement

If you move as a pensioner to live abroad temporarily or permanently, Kela will decide whether you are covered under heath insurance in Finland after moving. In general, coverage under the Finnish health insurance system ends on the date of moving, and you will no longer be entitled to use your Kela card, for example. […]